According to the VA, the number of veterans with PTSD varies by service era or the type of trauma experienced:
- Up to 20% of veterans who served in operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom experience PTSD in a given year.
- Up to 12% of veterans who served in the Gulf War experience PTSD in a given year.
- Up to 30% of veterans who have served in the Vietnam War have had PTSD in their lifetime.
- Up to 23% of women reported sexual assault while in the military.
- Up to 38% of men and 55% of women have experienced sexual harassment in the military.